Do you find it hard to get your kiddos to talk about school?
I have 2 boys and I find I have to be very creative with my questions to get them to discuss school. During dinner we rotate between asking questions from these About School Conversation Starters and other fun questions as a way to help them learn to express their thoughts and ideas. We have learned so much about how they feel about school, other students and their teachers by asking questions in a creative way.
Suggestions for use:
- Don’t interrupt, let them expand as much as possible
- Respond with “hmmm…” and “I see…” to encourage reflection
- Parents answer “I remember when…” or “when I was your age…” — reminds children you were once a kid also
- Listen for red flags in your children’s answers that you can discuss in more detail later.
- Take turns reading questions to encourage active participation
- If appropriate use expansion questions like why? Do you feel? Do you think? How does that compare to?
Free Conversation Starters
About School Conversation Starters can be downloaded from Teachers Pay Teachers.